I am definitely guilty of this… not recovering enough! We all just get in the mode of things and being”go,go, go” all the time, that we forget to stop and recover, both mentally and physically. Working out as much as I do, really takes a toll on the body, and in order to recover and come back new and fresh, we need to take one day off, have an official rest day! By recovering, you are allowing your body to restore itself and in return, you will prevent injury, speed up your recovery process after intense workouts, and come back even stronger than before.
Here are a few methods to help you recover faster even on non-rest days.
- soak in epsom salt. This stuff really works! The next day I feel so much more rested and way less sore. I like to get the ones with lavender or eucalyptus! They smell great and help you relax.
- Schedule monthly massages! Masssage Envy offers a really inexpensive monthly membership. I feel amazing after a massage, and I always schedule them after an intense workout session, so that it helps reduce soreness.
- Stretch after a workout! This is overlooked by so many people, but the truth is, that if you stretch and foam roll, you will reduce soreness the next day. Plus, it feels really good too!
- The contrast method: Ive tried this a few times and it does work, but I really hate cold water so it’s not my favorite option… The goal here is to shock the body with extreme temperatures. You always start with hot and end with cold. So in the shower, stand in hot water as hot as you can handle for 3 minutes. Then alternate to one minute of ice cold water. Do this 3 times. Good luck with this one! =)
- Lastly, Cardio! Low intensity cardio that is. The reasoning behind this is that the increase in circulation will accelerate oxygen and nutrient delivery to your muscles helping them restore faster. This is why it is always suggested to do your cardio after weightlifting. So in my workout schedule, I schedule one full cardio day. No weights. And one 100% rest day with zero exercise.
Cellucor also offers a great Recovery supplement called R3 which helps with inflammation, joint support, immune support, and is a super antioxidant! You can order yours on http://www.cellucor.com and use my promo code KPOW for 20% off! Also, remember to take in your BCAA’s, and consume a good whey protein after workouts. too help keep your muscles fueled and ready for more!